Things to do in Beaufort South Carolina
If you’re new to the Sea Islands of South Carolina region, you may not be aware of how many fun and interesting things there are to do here. Did you know that this area is one of the top places to live in South Carolina? Beaufort South Carolina real estate is both affordable and highly desirable because of the high quality of life the region offers. Here's some of our favorite things to do in Beaufort:
BEAUFORT ART CRAWL
- Thibault Gallery 815 Bay Street, Beaufort, SC 29902 - Fine art gallery with working studios focused on local artists working in a variety of media
- ARTworks/The Arts Council of Beaufort 2127 Boundary Street, Suite 18 A/Beaufort Town Center, Beaufort, SC 29902 - 12,000 square foot space, free to browse containing an info station with brochures & maps leading to local artists
- Beaufort Art Association Gallery 913 Bay Street, SC 29902 - Displaying the works of almost 100 exhibiting members, every six weeks, the work of a different featured artist is spotlighted
- Beaufort History Museum 1911 Boundary Street, Beaufort, SC 29902 - Works to preserve and showcase the rich history of this, South Carolina’s second-oldest city
- Center for the Arts - USCB 801 Cateret St, Beaufort, SC 29901 -Theatre performances by local and touring companies
BEAUFORT KAYAK TOURS - Phone: 843-525-0810
Take two or three hours to explore the flora, fauna, and local history with an experienced and knowledgeable guide. Owner-operated kayak tours in Beaufort include 5000-acre Hunting Island State Park, the wildlife-laden ACE Basin, a Beaufort History tour, and a Salt Marsh Ecology tour. You’ll be in and out of the kayak, walking and participating in activities while learning about the area in a fun and entertaining manner.
Hours of Operation: By appointment
BEAUFORT RIVER TOURS - Phone: 843-524-4422, Capt. Dick 843-812-2804
Like the kayak tours, Beaufort river tours take you along the water to explore one of the top places to live in South Carolina. About an hour long, give or take, wildlife is the primary focus – especially dolphins. The boat can accommodate groups of up to two dozen people, and takes you on an informative narrated journey from the downtown marina at Beaufort's Waterfront Park, up the river to Pleasant Point Plantation.
Hours of Operation: Daily at 2:00 p.m., call for reservations if you have a large group
HENRY CHAMBERS WATERFRONT PARK - 700 Bay Street, Beaufort, SC City Clerk/Events Coordinator Phone: 843-525-7070
Situated in downtown Beaufort along the waterfront, this multi-acre park offers stunning view of some of the nicest Beaufort South Carolina real estate. There is a a stage for performances, a pavilion for displays, and a grassy amphitheater. Several annual events are held here, including The Taste of Beaufort, Gullah Festival, Waterfestival, and The Shrimp Festival.
Hours of Operation: Daylight hours, dawn to dusk
HUNTING ISLAND STATE PARK - 2555 Sea Island Pkwy, Hunting Island, SC 29920 Phone: 843-838-2011
Whether you want to camp out for the weekend or spend the day exploring, the Sea Islands of South Carolina have plenty of interesting activities to keep you occupied. Visit the lighthouse, identify scores of seabirds and waterfowl, or collect shells along the water’s edge. The park is a great location for family fun and memorable adventures.
Hours of Operation: M-Su: 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. (extended to 9:00 p.m. during Daylight Savings Time)
LOWCOUNTRY PHOTO SAFARI WITH ERIC HORAN - 1102 Laudonniere St, Beaufort, SC 29902 Phone: 843-524-3037
Join a Master Naturalist as he navigates salt marshes, backwater channels and pristine beaches surrounding South Carolina's barrier islands. This is wildlife viewing at its best. You'll learn how to plan and equip yourself with gear and appropriate attire for the field as well as where and when to go.
Hours of Operation: Call for appointment
PARISH CHURCH OF ST. HELENA - 505 Church Street, Beaufort, SC 29902 Phone: 843-838-7056
This church was established in 1712 as a colonial parish of the Church of England. The existing church building was constructed in 1724 and is one of the oldest remaining active churches in North America.
Hours of Operation: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Thursday 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
PARRIS ISLAND - Marine Corps Base - 283 Blvd De France, Parris Island, SC 29905 Phone: 843-228-2111
Parris Island has a long history dating back to the 1500's. Visitors should check in at the Douglas Visitors' Center before they go anywhere else on the island. The Marines have a map of key locations around the island, and they will point out the best places to see.
Visitor’s Center Hours of Operation:
- Graduation Week Monday-Wednesday 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Thursday & Friday 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Non-Graduation Week Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Closed on all Saturdays, Sundays and Federal Holidays
BEAUFORT RESTAURANT CRAWL
- 11th St. Dockside Restaurant 1699 11th St West Port Royal, SC 29935-2300 - Enjoy terrific views and breathtaking sunsets on the screened porch here
- Back Porch Grill 2 Landing Drive, Port Royal, SC 29935 -Stop in for sandwiches, salads, burgers, fries and fried seafood
- Beaufort Bread Company 102 Sea Island Parkway, Ladys Island, SC 29907 -Neighborhood bakery for Artisan breads and pastries, as well as fresh sausage and pasta
- Bella Luna Cafe 859 Sea Island Pkwy., St. Helena Island, SC 29920 -The Italian cuisine here showcases the best local produce and seafood
- Boondocks Restaurant 1760 Sea Island Parkway, St. Helena Island, SC 29920 -For seafood, steaks, ribs and entertainment including a pool table and dart boards
SOUTHERN ROSE BUGGY TOURS - 1002 Bay Street, Beaufort SC 29902 Phone: 843-524-2900 -Horse-drawn carriage rides provide the best possible way to tour the area with a guide who can answer all of your questions. Southern Rose’s buggy tours will take you through historic downtown Beaufort at a leisurely pace so you can enjoy the fresh South Carolina air.
Hours of Operation: 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily, call for appointments
As you explore Beaufort South Carolina real estate developments, be sure to include fun of things to do in Beaufort SC. The Sea Islands South Carolina area is soothing and appealing. By all means, get out on the water if you can. If we missed anything, we hope you'll leave us a comment.