Reynolds Lake Oconee - Best Tennis Community in America
Like the visionary Walt Disney, Mercer Reynolds, the original real estate developer of Reynolds Plantation, knew over two decades ago that he had scored big when he acquired one of Central Georgia’s most beautiful trophy properties set on 18,000 acre sparkling Lake Oconee. Over the years, we have watched Reynolds Lake Oconee blossom into one of the most elegant master planned communities. The curb appeal is impeccable. While most folks know Reynolds Plantation for its award winning Lake Oconee golf courses, it offers so much more.
This year we spent some time at Reynolds, and while riding on the biking trails, their tennis facility captured our attention. As we learned more, we discovered that only a handful of communities in the U.S. can boast affiliation with PBI (Peter Burwash International Inc), the world’s leading tennis management company providing quality tennis services. Reynolds Lake Oconee is one of them. Since 1975, PBI pros have taught over 3 million students in 135 countries.
Dave Neuhart, PBI Tennis Director and former PBI Professional of the Year, joined the Reynolds’ team in 2004 and has lead their program ever since, which had about 40 club members at the time. Neuhart helped grow the club to approximately 600 active players of all skill levels with the help of PBI Head Tennis Professional James Derrick. National, Section, State and locally ranked players have trained at Reynolds’ PBI training facility. If you love tennis, Reynolds Lake Oconee is an ideal place to live.
Tennis Center awards and accolades over the years include:
- #1 PBI Facility of the Year in 2006
- 2006 Top 50 Tennis Welcome Centers
- 2007 Top 50 Tennis Resorts Online
- 2009 USTA Facility of the Year
- 2009 RSI Private Facility of the Year
After exploring over 300 master planned communities in the south, it’s hard to find a more well designed gated community with a thriving tennis facility which is open 7 days a week. The tennis center is meticulously maintained and the clay courts are resurfaced annually. Set in a lightly wooded forest, the pine trees are peaceful and offer partial shade.
Features of the Tennis Center:
- 10 Tennis Courts (2 stadium-sized & 8 championship-sized, lighted tournament-ready; 4 courts are soft Har-Tru Hydro Courts)
- 6 Tennis Courts at three other areas within the community
- 3 Pickleball Courts
- Full Service Pro Shop with clothing and accessories
- Computerized “Playmate” multi-shot ball machine with 7 speeds
- “Dartfish" Software Video Stroke Analysis system
- 40+ Branded new demo rackets to try and rental equipment
- Full stringing, gripping and racquet repair service
- Tennis Concierge to match-up players of all skill levels
- Sophisticated Wi-fi system
- Spectator Seating
Extensive Tennis Programming and Activities:
- Weekend and mid-week clinics
- Regular Weekly Tennis Play Groups
- Monthly Ladies Night Out - 2nd Tuesday of the month
- Monthly Mixed Doubles - 3rd Friday of every month
- Monthly Free Clinics for all skill levels and Family Clinics
- Monthly Round Robin
- Rated ALTA and USTA Leagues
- New Member Tennis Events - Feb, May, Aug & Nov
- Tennis Pro Exhibitions - March, June, Sept & Nov
Seasonal Tennis Events:
- January - Member Tennis Appreciation Banquet
- February - PBI Cup Trip
- February - Valentine’s Tennis Lecture
- March - Season Opening St. Patty’s Day Team Tennis Event
- March - Reynolds Golf & Tennis Challenge Event
- April - Masters Week Tennis Activities
- May - Reynolds Open Tennis Member/Guest Event
- June - Woodies & Whites Mixed Doubles
- July - Reynolds Atlanta Pro Tour Event
- September - Labor Day Tennis Clinics and Round Robin
- October - Tennis Singles and Mixed Doubles Championships
- November - Tennis Doubles Club Championships
After a fun day on the courts, Reynolds club members have an extensive array of amenities to enjoy such as water sports and boating, relaxing spa services at The Lake Club wellness center, or dining at one of the five restaurants in the community serving up healthy creations and farm-to-table cuisine. Reynolds is also home to six championship Lake Oconee golf courses and the award winning Ritz-Carlton Lodge.
Tennis has seen a new surge in interest as it is not only a healthy, competitive sport, but it provides a fun social connection. With over 200 days of sunshine, the mild four season weather at Lake Oconee adds to the sport’s appeal, along with the warm southern hospitality and friendliness of the people making it one of the ideal places to live. As Reynolds says “the community brings us together, the lifestyle sets us apart.” Here you’ll find lakefront, golf course and private wooded homes, adorable cottages, or low maintenance condominiums within walking distance of the Tennis Center beginning in the $400k’s.
To us, Reynolds Lake Oconee has served up the perfect match for any tennis enthusiast or soon-to-be. We’re confident your family will fall in love with our 2016 Bliss Award winner for Best Tennis Community of the Year - Reynolds Lake Oconee. See for yourself by accessing their enticing Stay & Play Vacation Packages.