Your Happy Place in the Mountains at Big Canoe
This summer is the perfect time to pack up the family and explore how living in one of the most affordable mountain towns in Northern Georgia can add generation joy to your family. Coined “The Enchanted Land” once inhabited by Paleo Indians over 15,000 years ago, the mountain community today represents the ultimate spot to live in the mountains outside Atlanta, Georgia which is only an hour away. The award-winning Big Canoe real estate development spreads across seven mountains encompassing over 8.000 acres of preserved lush greenery.
Residents enjoy three sparkling fresh water lakes that provide the perfect backdrop for owning a summer retreat or dream home surrounded by some of the most beautiful forestry in the south. Recreational activities are endless. Imagine breathing fresh mountain air every day while experiencing the action packed lifestyle boating, fishing, golfing and swimming offered year round in this picturesque and serene environment. The location is the ideal escape from the hustle and bustle of “big city” living.
Staying healthy is the way of life at Big Canoe. Besides water sports, residents have all the wellness amenities needed to round out living in this spectacular mountainous region. There is a swim club with a beach, an outdoor pool, lakefront water slides for the kids, volley ball, paddle boats and boards, canoes and a snack bar with a picnic area for enjoying the best outdoor living possible in the North Georgia mountains. The list of activities goes on and on.
Exercise enthusiasts can workout at the first class fitness center that has an indoor pool, sauna, hot tub, both racket ball and squash courts, as well as 2 indoor and 8 outdoor tennis courts. There are 27 holes of championship golf courses that incorporate the majestic scenery of the mountains, valleys, lakes and streams providing the ideal spot to unwind with family and friends. For adventurers, there are 24 miles of award winning hiking trails and anglers love the friendly marina at Lake Petit that offers boat rentals and fishing supplies. The lake is stocked with trout and is considered one of the best fishing spots in north Georgia.
Big Canoe offers a plethora of activities for kids and their parents. For youngsters and grandkids, there are outdoor basketball courts, bocce ball, soccer and baseball fields. The outdoor pool in the Wildcat area has a kid’s and adult pool plus a playground. A full service tennis facility and pro shop is an impressive venue featuring 10 indoor and outdoor courts for both tennis and the popular game of Pickleball. Highly popular tennis camps are being offered for young adults this summer wanting to learn the game. With over 300 avid players and a fantastic tennis club, Big Canoe was honored with a Bliss Award this year for “Best Tennis Community of the Year” by Real Estate Scorecard.
Golf lessons are also offered at the three impressive 9-hole courses found at Big Canoe. The Choctaw, Cherokee, and Creek courses incorporate the austere natural surroundings and offer a wide range of difficulties to test players of all levels. The mountain community at Big Canoe is highly active and very involved with offering well planned events year round. Summer is the perfect time to plan a family trip and experience the impressive properties found at Big Canoe. Here are some of the fun-filled activities planned this season:
- Junior Tennis Camp began the week of May 29th and will run throughout the summer. Here fundamentals, technical training, drills and skills will be the focus. Match play will test the young players and keep the camp fun for all levels and ages. Starting at 10am and ending at 3pm each day, the camp costs only $250 per week and is open to children ages 8+. There is also a class for (Pee Wees) from 9am to 10am for younger kids for only $50 per week. Big Canoe Director of Tennis, Matt Motil, who is USPTA certified, organizes and coaches the students.
- Fishing is one of the favorite past times at Big Canoe at the many lakes that grace the property. The Kids’ Fish Camp, which is highly popular, will run from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on June 14-16, June 21-23, July 19-21, and July 26-28. Attendees will learn the basics of angling in this 3 day camp from expert fishermen. The cost is $125 and includes a new rod and real, bait and expert fishing tips. Lake fishing will be from a pontoon boat manned with a seasoned captain and first mate. This event fills up quickly, so make plans now to attend this exhilarating outdoor adventure.
- After attending the Kid’s Fish Camp, the annual “Hook a Kid on Fishing Tournament” is scheduled for Saturday, June 17 at Lake Petit. Testing fishing skills, participants who attend will receive a t-shirt, goody bag, bait, snacks and water. Those involved in the tournament need to bring their own pole. Medals are awarded to those who catch a fish, any fish, which makes this an exciting event for all ages. Additional awards will be given for the biggest and most fish caught. Any angler that lands the much sought after ‘Petit Pete’ will also receive a special prize. The entry fee is only $5 if registered before Monday, June 5 and $10 after. The event will include a family-friendly awards ceremony with festivities for the kids.
- Another free fun family activity is watching movies under the twinkling stars in the open mountain ranges that adorn Big Canoe. The Summer Outdoor Movies series offers weekly movies every Wednesday during June and July at 9:00pm (weather permitting) for guests and residents. This outdoor event takes place at the Playfield Park and folks attending are invited to bring chairs, blankets, goodies and beverages. There are also yummy concessions available for moviegoers. The community comes together for this special festivity organized by The Big Canoe POA Programs & Events Committee along with the Canoe Cubs. Here are the films that will be featured this summer (please note that dates are subject to change):
- Wednesday, June 14 - Trolls
- Wednesday, June 21 – The Spiderwick Chronicles
- Wednesday, June 28 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Wednesday, July 5 - Moana
- Wednesday, July 12 - A Dog’s Purpose
- Wednesday, July 19 - Madagascar 3
- Wednesday, July 26 – The Lego Batman Movie
- Wednesday, August 2 - Hidden Figures
- Summer Junior Golf Camp is a great way for golfers of all levels to learn the techniques and etiquette of this challenging game from the admirable PGA and LPGA pros at Big Canoe. There will be 3 camps offered this summer teaching the skills of driving, pitching, chipping, bunker and approach. Putting will be the focus of the first 2.5 hours of the day. Course play will teach golfers course etiquette and pace of play. The beauty of these mountain courses is unmatched and provides the perfect playground for this outdoor activity. Lunch is provided and included in the cost of $225 per camper. The third day of camp will feature a skills competition to showcase attendees’ knowledge of the game. The final day, a parent/child 9-hole tournament is held followed by an award luncheon. This is a great way for juniors to learn the game of golf while enjoying the great outdoors at Big Canoe. This activity fills quickly with only 36 spots in each camp. Book a Discovery Package weekend now to experience this incredible resort location. Summer is also the ideal time to shop for the spectacular Big Canoe real estate currently available. Camp Dates (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 each day); June 20th – 23rd; June 27th-30th; and July 18th – 21st.
- On August 19, Big Canoe will host its much-anticipated Second Annual Cardboard Boat Race. Participants must build their theme-based crafts out of cardboard and it must be able to actually float racing 200 meters while hosting 2 to 6 sailors on board to win this stimulating competition. Creativity is the key in designing the boat’s theme and challenges residents to beat last year’s winning team, “SS Hope It Floats”. Seven teams competed last year cheered on by friends and neighbors providing great entertainment for residents and guests. The categories will be segmented into families, adults and youth, children under the age of 9 are not allowed to participate. The event will take place on the beach behind Canoe Lodge and the racing course will be on the pristine Lake Sconti. In addition to the speed competition, awards will also be given for; Most Creative Boat, Best Sunken Ship, People’s Choice and the Spirit award. Concessions and frivolity will be provided by the Canoe Cubs who will lighten up the event. Don’t miss this one-of-a –kind festivity! There is never a dull moment living at Big Canoe. Book your trip now with the affordable weekend package offering the following:
ACCESS BIG CANOE'S EXCLUSIVE DISCOVERY PACKAGE:
Just 1 hour north of Atlanta, Big Canoe offers a private residential community experience. For only $375 per couple, the Discovery Package includes:
- 3-day, 2-night stay in a luxury mountain home*
- 18 hole round of golf per couple, or 2-hour tennis/pickleball reservation*
- $50 voucher toward dining at stunning Sconti Clubhouse
- 2-hour pontoon boat cruise on beautiful Lake Petit*
- Private tour of our diverse and thriving Community
- Exclusive gifts, surprises and much more!
- *Accommodations and amenity usage subject to availability and/or season.
Getting to Big Canoe real estate development is easy. Located only one hour north of Atlanta in the captivating Blue Ridge Mountains of Dahlonega, major highways provide easy access to this exquisite mountain resort and community development. While spectacular rental homes are available, Baby Boomers and their families have decided that this is indeed the perfect place to buy a home in the foothills of the Appalachians.
The property is built upon 8,000 acres of lush greenspace and is a Certified Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Federation. Nearby the Amicalola Falls State Park provides additional outdoor exploration and draws hikers worldwide to view the cascading waterfall that is the center piece of the park. The 28.000 acre Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area insures the exclusivity of Big Canoe and adds appeal and value to the home sites. Gibbs Gardens is another captivating experience and well worth the side trip while visiting Big Canoe. One visit and guests never want to leave this peaceful haven located in one of the most affordable mountain towns in northern Georgia.
Home shoppers have four distinctive neighborhoods to choose from in this all-inclusive gated mountain community. Whether it’s a weekend retreat or a golf course estate, each property is uniquely designed by the Big Canoe Building Group led by Matt Barnes who has over 20 years of experience building superior custom homes. With a classic rustic mountain theme, there are 4,750 planned homes with approximately 2,600 built to date. New homes at Big Canoe start in the $300k’s and resales can be found in the $200k’s. Home sites are still available from the $50k’s and provide an incredible return on the investment in the prestigious development. Here are the neighborhoods to choose from at Big Canoe:
THE BLUFFS AT RIDGEVIEW is known for its spectacular mountain views as this neighborhood sits at an elevation of 2,200 feet and the Atlanta skyline can be seen from this location. Architectural styles reflect the history of the Appalachian region and home sites offer impressive preserved hardwood and preserved greenspace. Lots start in the low $100k’s and impressive mountain estates can be found in the low $550k’s.
CHOCTAW VILLAGE is the ultimate spot for golf enthusiasts to shop. Embraced by the impressive mountain course, this friendly neighborhood boasts cobble stone walkways and preserved nature trails that lead to the impressive Big Canoe amenities located nearby. Architecture reflects the early 1900’s and homes can be found here in the low $400k’s.
HIGH GAP is provides a serene setting and the ideal location to build a home with impressive northern views overlooking the Amicalola National Forest including the majestic Amicalola Falls. Home sites provide privacy and range from 1 to 3 acres. Existing prestigious homes start in the upper $500k’s
WILDCAT is the perfect place for active hikers to shop. Half of this lush 700-acre neighborhood is naturally preserved and includes 12 miles of walking and hiking trails that meander througout the property. Mountain views, spectacular topography and blooming meadows provide the perfect spot to build a dream home. Priced from the $450’s these properties are highly affordable and provide the perfect place to enjoy retirement years.
Lucky folks who already live at Big Canoe, not only enjoy the awestriking views of this mountain paradise but also enjoy the fact that this master planned community has everything residents need built within the gates of the property. Staying active is the way of life at Big Canoe. There is so much to do that every day is a vacation living here. Here's an overview of the amenities that contribute to resort style living:
BIG CANOE AMENITIES
- 24 Hour Manned Gated Entrance
- 27 Hole Championship Mountain Golf Courses designed by Joe Lee
- 9 Hole Creek Course overlooking Lake Sconti
- 9 Hole Cherokee Course with dramatic elevations
- 9 Hole Choctaw Course accented by waterfalls and rushing creeks
- Lodge-style Golf Clubhouse overlooking Lake Sconti
- 16,000 Square Foot Fitness Center
- Indoor Heated Saline Swimming Pool
- Resort-style Outdoor Swimming Pool bordering the Beach
- Wildcat Recreation Center with Outdoor Swimming Pool and Kids Pool
- Ballfields - Soccer, Baseball, Basketball and Bocce Ball
- Ten Lighted Tennis Courts
- 22 Miles of Paved and Gravel Trails for fantastic hiking in Georgia
- Three Private Lakes stocked with Trout, Bass, Bream and Crappie
- Community Boat Docks and Marina Store
- The Villages Market
For dining, there are 3 restaurants located at the new Big Canoe Clubhouse at Lake Sconti. The Mountains Grille is an impressive first-class restaurant that overlooks the lake and provides an exceptional Sunday Brunch. The Black Bear Pub provides a more relaxed venue with large screen TVs featuring mouth-watering Black Angus burgers and ice cold beer. At the golf course, Duffers offers hot dogs, burgers and delicious sandwiches. There is also a wide selection of superb dining options right outside the gates of Big Canoe as well as a strip mall with a grocery store, shops and a private school.
In addition to all the amenities offered, Big Canoe is a place where “neighbors are friends” with a highly active social life. Ridgerunners has over 400 female members who partake in fun activities year round. The tennis club has over 300 members and provides the perfect solution for maintaining a healthy regime. There are also annual festivals planned that enrich the lives of residents. Wildflower Festival of the Arts, Georgia Wine County Festival, Ellijay’s Georgia Apple Festival, Jasper’s Georgia Marble Festival, and the John C. Campbell Folk Art School Fall Festival unite this community.
There are over 50 social clubs at Big Canoe that keep residents close knit making this one of the most sought after properties outside Atlanta. Having this major metropolis nearby insures that access to premiere restaurants, cultural events, a major airport and health care services are only a “stone throw” away. Commuters enjoy the peace of mind upon entering the gates of Big Canoe and choose mountain living over the stresses associated with living in the big city. Here is what some of the residents are saying about living at Big Canoe:
“…Canoe Life at this point means serenity and relaxation because that’s the most consistent thing I feel when I am here…Canoe Life to me means to be a happy camper!”
“We live full time in Atlanta and we were looking for a place to get away for the weekends. [Big Canoe] just had the best amenities. Canoe Life for me means family time…as there’s so much to do as a family.
What Big Canoe has that a lot of places didn’t is in certain places we were looking you’d have to drive a pretty good distance to get to water, pool, trails…all of that is just within a few minutes …Our Canoe Life is being outside”
“The first minute through the gate we were immediately in love.
So far away from the city, yet it’s not. Life in Big Canoe is every bit as convenient as life in Forsyth County…You can customize your experience in Big Canoe. It’s an endless variety of things to help you find happy.
There are so many choices. We found a fabulous house.”
“We honestly initially thought that we were going to use it as an investment property…we very quickly fell in love with it so much that we couldn’t bear to not be here on the weekend.
We have made a fantastic group of friends, our kids go to each other’s birthday parties…that’s really helped round out and bring a lot of balance to the life we have working in Atlanta.“
“I was amazed at how close this was to the Atlanta area and so nice and mountainous. It just was absolutely gorgeous.
With such an impressive location, Baby Boomers and residents of Atlanta are quickly flocking to buy Big Canoe real estate. There are a wide variety of sites and prestigious ready built properties to satisfy discerning home shoppers unique style and budget. While visiting here are a few properties to check out that are currently available:
- GOLF COURSE VIEW HOMESITE -Lot Number 2525 on Turnbury Lane provides a superior view of the 7th tee box at the sculpted Cherokee Golf Course is available for only $75,000.
- MOUNTAIN VIEW HOMESITE -Lot Number 5096 is located on Sanderlin Mountain Drive is provides impressive mountain views priced at $100,000 is the perfect investment for home shoppers.
- Lot Number 5178 provides exceptional value on Deer Run Ridge with 2 lots for the price of one. Spectacular mountain views with 2.25 acres of lush green scape is available for only $60,000!
- 11 Wood Poppy Court, Big Canoe, GA 30143 is a well-designed 2-story mountain estate with 10 feet ceilings, 5 bedrooms, 5 baths, 3 fireplaces, walk-in closets and wet-bar. This impressive Craftsman home built in 2005 sits on 2+ acres in the Wildcat neighborhood and features 5298 square feet of living space. This must see home is listed for $990,900.
- 460 Ridgeview Way, Big Canoe, GA 30143 is found in the Ridgeview neighborhood and features an open floor plan, vaulted great room, spacious master suite and an outdoor patio with a fireplace. There are 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, three fireplaces and hardwood floors complimenting this superior Craftsman home. Built in 2014, this property is a steal for only $629,000.
- 648 Bellflower Drive, Big Canoe, GA 30143 was built in 1999 and offers 2 master bedrooms with a total of 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, a stone fireplace, open floor plan, walk in closets, and wall/wall carpeting. This charming home is highly affordable at only $217,000.
Discover this magical mountain oasis. Schedule your summer retreat by booking the affordable Exclusive Big Canoe Discovery Package and don’t forget to sign up the kids for the action-packed camps before it is too late. Living the life of luxury in the mountains of Atlanta Georgia is a “dream come true” at Big Canoe, one of the most affordable mountain towns in the south.