An Enchanting Christmas in Toccoa Georgia
When we think of an authentic Southern Christmas, we think of Toccoa, Georgia, a quaint and historical town named an “All-American City” twice! This charming town is steeped in history and is filled with Old-World holiday traditions. The backdrop is beautiful nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, a pine forest that stretches all the way up to New York.
Toccoa is also home to a picturesque Georgia golf community located on Lake Hartwell called Currahee Club. The mountain views are spectacular and homes are so exquisitely designed. Take a peek at Currahee Club homes.
Social activities thrive at the communuty's grand clubhouse overlooking sparking Lake Hartwell. Amenities are impressive and include a Top 100 ranked golf course, wellness center and gorgeous community garden.
There are many reasons to smile this holiday season in Toccoa and at Currahee Club. It’s a time when love is more visible and laughter abounds. A time spent with family, friends and cherished American traditions. Here are some of the events planned that residents and visitors look forward in Toccoa over the next few weeks:
- 2018 Christmas Fest kicks off on November 30th from 5 to 9pm with the Festival of Trees at the Historic Courthouse downtown Toccoa. The event continues through Saturday from 1 to 4pm. There will be a vote for the favorite tree with $1 donation fee that will go to local charities. You can also visit with Santa, stroll through a live Nativity Scene with animals for kids to enjoy, roaming carolers, or hop on a Carriage Ride or the Santa’s Express Train to take in the festive scenery. This annual event draws thousands of residents and tourists alike and is one of the many holiday festivities planned for this season. The town is decked out with lights, Christmas trees, and filled with the true essence of Southern hospitality and is indeed the place to be for an old-world holiday celebration. Carriage rides being on Doyle Street and are offered for $3 per adult and $1 per child. This is a great way to venture through the scenery in downtown Toccoa to take in the historical landmarks and decorated streets of this festive mountain town.
- The Christmas Sage Market is open from 6 to 9pm on November 30th and Saturday, December 1st at the Star Theatre featuring homemade and handmade Arts & Crafts from local vendors. This is a great spot to shop for one-of-a-kind gifts that will surprise loved ones with a true memory from the heart. There is no better place to find something special than the artwork offered at Sage Market.
- Toccoa Jazz/The Toccoa Crackers/Tugallo Holler will be offering live entertainment from 6 to 9pm at the Christmas Tree Lighting and the Courthouse Wonderland on November 30th. These amazing performers will be presenting toe-tapping music to ignite the starlight night in downtown Toccoa as radiant Christmas trees, streaming lights and the smell of fresh pine fills the air from the nearby forests that surround the city nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Add a warm toddy or cup of hot chocolate and the evening is reminiscent of the simpler times of yesteryear. Another reason why folks are flocking to the resort lifestyle found at Currahee Club, a true mountain oasis.
- The Toccoa Carolers will be roaming the streets inviting attendees to join in on a Christmas “Sing-a-Long” starting at 6pm on November 30th. Anyone willing to join in by sharing their voices to entertain those attending the Christmas Festival are invited to meet in front of “Sweet Treats” located at 25 Doyle Street. Accompanied by guitarists Jamie Roberts and Seth Howard, folks who participate are encouraged to wear Santa hats and festive clothing to serenade the masses attending this festive celebration. Come enjoy the scene and be part of the act at this fun-filled family friendly event.
- After the fun filled events on November 30th, Saturday, December 1st is another fun-filled day in Toccoa. From 8 to 10am, Breakfast with Santa with be held at the X-Factor Grill. The Christmas Sage Market will be open offering handcrafted wares from 12 to 4pm, The Festival of Trees will be available for viewing and voting from 1 to 4pm and the spectacular “Christmas Toyland” parade will take place at 4pm in downtown Toccoa. It’s also a great time to explore the beautiful homes at Currahee Club and catch a glimpse of this community’s wonderful life.
- Speaking of “It’s a Wonderful Life”, the Ritz Theatre downtown will be featuring the stage version on December 13th at 7pm. What a great way to celebrate the season by taking the family to enjoy this fantastic holiday presentation. Walking though downtown Toccoa, the scene is reminiscent of Christmas past making this an adventure one you don’t want to miss. Presented WVL Radio theatre, tickets are still available, $10 for adults and $5 for children.
- Another holiday tradition not to be missed in Toccoa, is The Nutcracker performance on December 7th at 6pm at the Georgia Baptist Conference Center. Come enjoy this amazing Christmas celebration offered locals and tourists. For ticket information call 706-282-1931. Enrich your visit to the Appalachians by taking the family to experience this legendary piece of preserved ballet in the mountains of Northern Georgia this season. Enjoy dinner at one of the exquisite local eateries before or after the show while strolling along the streets of this highly decorated town for a complete night out on in the town of Toccoa.
- Holiday Ice Skating is offered throughout the season from November 30th to December 30th at East Tugalo Street in downtown Toccoa on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It is a great way to enjoy the outdoor scenery and get some quality exercise with friends and family. The season is not complete without a skate around the glorious scenery that lights up this festive venue.
While visiting this whimsical mountain town, it's your chance to learn more about one of the most well known developments in Georgia on Lake Hartwell, Currahee Club. Built upon 1,200 acres, this trophy property features rolling topography where many of the homes have stellar mountain, golf or lake views from virtually every direction. Each home is distinctive and offers modern open living spaces within a peaceful mountain setting.
Currahee Club is just 90 minutes from the bustling metropolis of Atlanta and trendy city of Greenville South Carolina. In the center of the award winning community is the 48,000 square-foot Currahee Clubhouse that offers fine dining, majestic views of the mountains, lake and golf course and is the main social events settings. The clubhouse is one of the prettiest we’ve seen. Add to it, the award-winning Lake Hartwell golf course and it’s easy to see why it's a golf lover's paradise.
Golfers admire views of Lake Hartwell and the ridges of the Appalachian Mountains while playing the Jim Fazio course, considered one of the best in the state of Georgia. Named as one of the “Top 100 Residential Courses”, 2015 through 2018 by Golfweek, this course is known as one of the best places to play in the country.
Residents of Currahee Club are a health-conscious group of individuals who cherish the community’s 5-acre Sports Complex built within the gates of the community. The wellness center has state-of-the-art workout machines, fitness classes and personal training. Outdoor amenities include a saline swimming pool, two lighted tennis courts, and bocce ball, volley ball and basketball courts for social interplay. There is also Grand Lawn for relaxing, enjoying a concert or simply sitting back and imbibing the beautiful scenery while reading a book. During the summer months, the lawn is where you’ll find special events that include an artisian and farmer's market.
Currahee has 1.5 miles of preserved trail ways to explore throughout the community. Fishermen and boaters have easy access to all the fun activities that are provided with lakefront living from kayaking to fishing for the stocked striped bass along the shoreline. Lake Hartwell sprawls across 52,000-acres providing the ideal spot to escape reality with more than 960 miles of shoreline covering 2 states and six counties. Make plans to explore a wonderful life found in the Appalachian Mountains and on Lake Hartwell.
To learn more about Currahee Club, call 706-827-1000 to request an information package and to schedule a tour.